Followers

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Process So Far


The Greater Washington Urban League is offering people such as myself an opportunity to purchase a home through their HPAP program (http://www.gwul.org/programs/housing/hpap) There are a number of rules and regulations that I have to follow, but so far I qualify.

The hardest part is finding a home. I can get the best options of the program if I find a vacant home in a specific zip code. I can also qualify for a 203k loan to help refurbish the place. (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k/203kabou)

My plan is to graduate from college in December and have my Graduation party and house warming on the same day. I have looked at 8 properties already, and only wanted three. The first was located in the Trinidad neighborhood of Washington DC it was cute, but had some weird additions and some shady neighbors, it also needed more work than my 203k would allow. Scratch that one.
Next came the home that reminded me of my childhood home. it needed way less work but it was priced so low, that everyone and their mother bid on it, way past what I could afford. I may still be in the running after the inspection but I doubt it. That whole bidding process had me doubled over with stomach craps.
Finally I have an offer in on a home in Anacostia, DC it is bank owned and I feel it is way over priced for the area and the repairs that need to be done once the Section 8 tenants move out; but lets see.

My TV stays on HGTV. I keep watching all these people buying homes and it looks so easy, I need an HGTV show to help me buy a house with dramatic close ups and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment